Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Game of Words

The man was slinking through a meadow, body doubled over well beyond the height of the tall grass. Insects buzzed all around him, but his ear was tuned to a different sound. Amid the thrum of flies came the clear, sweet sound of bells, tinkling ever so faintly.

He continued to weave across the field, following the distant ringing. As it grew louder, he heard tiny gasps of desperation. Finally, he found her; a tiny wood fairy, trapped under one of the very logs she adored. At the sight of a human, the dainty sprite trembled and attempted to curl up under the life-threatening but protective object.

"Don't be afraid, little fairy. I know what you are, and I have seen your kind many times before. Would you like me to help you?"

The small woman seemed hesitant, but clearly she was in need of assistance. Her frail head bobbed up at the man in a pleading gesture.

"Well, all right. What is it you'd like me to do?"

The fairy paused, wondering if the old man were absent-minded and completely unaware that she was trapped. In a wispy, flute-like voice, she chimed, "I want you to get me out from under this log."

The man knelt down, his eyes running over the surface of the wood. "You wish to be free of your physical burden?"


The sprite stopped herself again, but slowly nodded. "Yes, I wish to no longer be trapped."

The old man smiled and touched a fingertip to her forehead. Slowly, her body disintegrated and fell into the sack he held out as no more than tiny flecks of golden glitter. "My pleasure to assist you."

No comments: